Monday, August 1, 2011

Bangy-Nose Pooh Visits the High Desert

Some background info on Bangy-Nose Pooh:

When Nathan was about one year old, Bill and I discovered that Nathan's special stuffed animal was Winnie the Pooh.  To make life a little easier for ourselves, we went out and bought a second Pooh from Target, which is where the first Pooh also came from.  What we didn't realize was that the two Poohs were slightly different.  We didn't actually spot the difference until Nathan started referring to one Pooh as Squishy-Nose Pooh and one Pooh as Bangy-Nose Pooh.  Squishy-Nose Pooh has a soft cloth nose, whereas Bangy-Nose Pooh has a hard plastic nose, suitable for banging against the side of your bed when you don't feel like going to sleep.

Although Nathan tries to be diplomatic and say he loves the two Poohs equally, we know Squishy-Nose Pooh is his favorite.  Here he is recently watching TV with his beloved Squishy-Nose and his Smurf:


Since Bangy-Nose Pooh is the less-necessary Pooh, Nathan offered to let me take him on my trip to California, to keep me company.  I hesitated, because I didn't want to create some sort of a Pooh crisis that Bill would have to deal with in my absence, and plus I'm a grown adult and don't really need a stuffed animal taking up precious suitcase space.  But Nathan insisted that Bangy-Nose Pooh loves to travel, and so I should take him.  I became excited about the idea of taking funny pictures of Bangy-Nose Pooh on his West Coast adventures. 

On my first morning at my in-laws' house in the California High Desert, we spotted a very large bird perched in one of the trees.  We speculated that it was an owl, which would have made for a cooler picture because Pooh has a friend Owl, and then all I'd have to do was stop into the San Diego Zoo and take pictures of him with his other friends Tigger and Piglet. 

But my father-in-law said it was a hawk of some sort.  And it's hard to see it in the picture, so I put in an arrow pointing to it.  I like how the picture kind of gives you an idea of the general environs of my in-laws' new place.  It's very desert-y.


As I've said before, the cool thing about California is that you can get from the mountains to the desert to the beach in a matter of a couple of hours.  In fact, I spent the day in a rather moutainous region at my in-laws' lakeside country club.  And tomorrow Pooh and I are off to visit my dad and stepmom near the beach.  Look forward to a seaside picture of Pooh soon.  

1 comment:

MoJo-JC said...

Shannon,

Glad to see that you and Squishy-Nose Pooh are rubbing elbows with the Glitteratti in So-Cal. It was really fun sharing the last few days with you. Enjoy the remainder of your conference, and have a safe flight back to your two special guys.

Love, Dad